With so many options out there, choosing the right baby formula can be overwhelming! A closer look at the ingredients reveals the clear markers to look for when choosing the right baby formula for your little one.
1. Select BETTER INGREDIENTS
- Most European formula’s main protein source is lactose (composed of whey and casein).
- Since cow’s lactose has less whey than breastmilk, whey is added to make the formula closer to breastmilk.
- Typically lactose is the only carbohydrate necessaryMany European formulas stick with this rule!
- If other carbohydrates are necessary, the BAD carbohydrates such as corn syrup solids, glucose syrup solids, sucrose, sugar, brown rice syrup are avoided
- Typically the vegetable oils (palm oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil)
- Many American formulas have hidden soy in this list of their ingredients - making it seem like “soy oil” is nothing to be concerned about.